Wednesday, October 20, 2010

A Power Walker among runners

The weekend of Canadian Thanksgiving I walked the Victoria Half Marathon. There is no walking division in this race but it is a glorious route and the crowd support is in encouraging and consistent. I felt the special date of it this year - 10th day of the 10th month of the 10th year - had a positive karmic feel to it. So positively karmic, in fact, that I somehow managed to convince my entire family (3 sons, husband, sister and brother-in-law!) to participate in race day. We didn't all walk, and we didn't all pace each other, but we were all out there!


The attached link will get you to a video finish of me with a lot of runners. All through the race I was wishing there was a walking division since I have felt strongly for several years that walking divisions set a new standard for walkers - a standard that promotes improved fitness through walking.

When you see my finish in the attached video, it gives you an idea of how my finish time listed with the runners does not really do justice to what I am doing. This is true for all people power walking a race as fast as they can. Let's keep pushing for walking divisions and recognition of the walking competitor.

http://www.brightroom.com/view_user_event_video.asp?EVENTID=61987&BIB=10057&LNSEARCH=1&PWD=

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home