Thursday, February 2, 2012

Robbie Burns 8k race


Aye, there's nothing like a few bagpipes to get a person moving quickly. With last name Scott, I guess it makes sense that I would love the bagpipes. I feel taller and stronger when I hear them. Then there are people who hate the bagpipes. My guess is the sound of them at the start of the Robbie Burns race in Burlington last Sunday made those people want to move quickly away! Whether your feelings about bagpipes are positive or negative, they serve as perfect motivation to move fast!

Power walkers did not enjoy a separate start this year. We had to find a suitable starting point among the running pack. The energy of so many participants is high but it is difficult to know your competition and where they are located. There could always be a power walker ahead that you did not see starting in the pack of runners ahead.

On the whole I think it's better for the sport to have a separate start but I find it interesting that I am often finishing with better personal times when I keep pushing because there could be a walker ahead. On Sunday, as I approached the 6k mark I could see one of the local power walkers, Joanne, pushing as hard as she could toward the finish line. WoW! How did she get way up there? If she could do it, I should be trying harder. And, so I did. Finding a reserve that I wasn't sure existed, I caught and passed her. I owe her a great deal for that. She brought out a strength and speed in me of which I was unaware. She's probably responsible for my extreme need for a nap Sunday afternoon!

After the race, I spoke with her and she, too, tried really hard to catch up to me after I passed her. So, I pushed her to dig deep into her reserves.

Its all a fantastic sharing of energy.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home