Tuesday, January 13, 2009

To treadmill or not to treadmill

Away on holidays over the Christmas season, I woke up one morning to a winter gloom of San Francisco fog and rain. Morning walks in San Francisco can be a treat. The reward for powering up Russian Hill is a view of Coit Tower, Alcatraz, or the Bay Bridge. With fog and rain I knew there would be no such view, so I decided to test the treadmill in the hotel fitness center.
It is rare for me to walk on a treadmill since I like to be outside. Still, many of you tell me you prefer the treadmill workout when inclement weather occurs - particularly when the risk of falling is high.

When I entered the fitness center both treadmills were taken. I warmed up sitting on the stationary bicycle. I managed to entertain myself through 20 minutes of imaginary hills on an imaginary ride. When a treadmill became available I moved over and started my walk at 3 mph. As I walked I increased the speed in .2 mph increments. When I reached my race pace from my personal best marathon of 11.22 minutes per miles I held a steady course for about 10 minutes. It was a long 10 minutes. Interesting. I regularly walk for more than 2 hours outside.

Then I aimed for 6mph, or walking one mile in 10 minutes. I was very nearly ejected off the back of the treadmill but managed 6 intervals of 30 seconds at that speed. Another 6 minutes of workout accomplished. Finally I played around with the grade for 5 minutes and ended with a few minutes of cool-down watching a television with no sound and subtitles. The screen was slightly to my right so it’s good that I had not been interested in watching a show for the duration of my workout or I would have walked away with a persistent tendency to look right.

After the workout I felt better than when I had walked into the fitness center. That’s just the way it works. An invigorating walk always improves my mood. Yet, I couldn’t help feeling that treadmill walk was just a bit silly. A little fog and rain in one of the world’s most interesting cities had me making like a gerbil, walking on a moving belt in a room that looks like countless others on the planet. It was interesting to know the exact pace I could muster, but I wish I had spent that hour walking Russian Hill – even without the view.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At January 14, 2009 at 12:41 PM , Blogger Laurel said...

I used my treadmill all the time when I was a regular runner, but because of the pace translation issue, I cannot use it for speed or pace training. Even 4.8 almost sends me off the back! So, if I have to I will use it on my weight/ball days at home as a warm up or to just get blood flowing. I agree...dress properly, even if you have to wear Yak Trax and get outside.

 
At January 14, 2009 at 12:55 PM , Blogger Vera said...

I just got in after a 20k training walk. The temperature when we started was a chilly -22 and it's now a balmy -17. I feel great.... a little tired and very hungry but wouldn't trade it for a walk on the treadmill.

Sometimes it would be easier to make an excuse and stay inside but most times (there have been exceptions) all the doubt disappears once you get outside.

It helps to have a great training partner to share the time with.

 
At January 14, 2009 at 6:42 PM , Blogger Jill Pettit said...

In times of bad weather I trudge to my treadmill. It is never my first option but I welcome my treadmill on days like this. A high of -16 is not my kind of get outside day. I feel great dressing in shorts and I think about how I am going to mix this walk up. Will it be speed, hills, or endurance. Yes I did a half marathon on the treadmill the other day and it felt great. Today, I did hill training. The hills took me back to the last hilly marathon course I was on and it felt like I was there. Watching TV is not something I enjoy so the music on my ipod takes me away.
Right now I am thinking positively that it will be a beautiful sunny day for the Friday morning hills class because that is something I won't miss!

 
At January 16, 2009 at 8:40 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

For anyone wondering about the differences between treadmill training and outdoor training, there is an article in the online version of Friday Jan 16 globe and mail

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20090116.wljockology16/BNStory/specialScienceandHealth/?cid=al_gam_nletter_newsUp

The only time i used a treadmill was when i trained for my first marathon. It was the weekend that i was supposed to walk my longest walk, 36km. that weekend was the iciest worst snow storm of the season. So I headed for the gym and managed to spend 4 hours on a treadmill. Luckily, my walking partner also had the same dilemma and we managed to overlap our treadmill training time by about 2 hours. It was awful, but it was my only option.

I agree with Vera, being outside is much better. When conditions are really terrible, i forget about speed and just walk the time it would take me to walk the distance i'm supposed to walk rather than forcing myself to walk the distance.

Stay warm everyone, baby, it's cold out there!

Helena

 
At January 19, 2009 at 3:45 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

See now I disagree with that I have found that it can be better to be inside because at the gyms in Dallas they will offer you assistance if you are doing anything wrong or if you get hurt they can get you medical attention immediately.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home